If you follow us, you know by now that a Global Citizen is someone who understands that local and global are two dimensions of the same world and that a single person has the power to bring about positive change.
All this sounds great, but how to become a Global Citizen? These are four simple ideas to get you started.
At Sedna, we know that inspiration is the spark that ignites meaningful change. Discovering what inspires you is essential to understand yourself and determine what actions will bring you fulfillment. These are some questions you can ask yourself to better understand what inspires you.
● What words or values inspire you?
● Who inspires you?
● What phrase do you try to live by?
● What is your talent?
● What is your passion?
Make Greener Choices
Making environmentally friendly choices is one of the most basic but effective ways to experience global citizenship. Our personal decisions have an impact on the world at large, and this truth is never more evident than when we take care of our planet. These are some simple actions you can take today:
● Recycle, Recycle, Recycle
● No matter where you are make sure your trash always ends up in a trash bin and not in the street, on a mountain trail, or in the ocean
● When you make meals be creative with any leftovers instead of throwing the food away. You would be surprised at how many other great dishes you can make
● Be aware of the amount of water you use when you do the dishes, take a shower, water your yard, etc.
Every day we are subject to an imposing barrage of information, but that doesn’t mean we are better educated for it. In fact, information that is dubious or misleading abounds, so it’s important to be discerning. Identify trustworthy companies or institutions and visit their websites or social media posts to learn more. Getting the right information, reference materials or advice on the causes you care about will help you make better decisions or get involved.
Taking action is an essential part of being a Global Citizen. As we have mentioned in previous posts, all the values of Global Citizenship point toward action as the ultimate goal. Volunteering is a great way to take action and work side by side with people who share your values. Some opportunities you may consider include:
● Helping the homeless and the hungry
● Donating goods to a food bank
● Join a volunteer group that cleans up the ocean, plants trees…
● Offering to work at an animal rescue shelter
Being a Global Citizen is a very simple decision. With imagination, enthusiasm, and ingenuity, you can start changing the world today.
About Our Global Citizen Collection
Our Global Citizen hat collection is available in beige, blue, green, and gray. The choice of materials ranges from pigment dye cotton to corduroy and water-resistant nylon. Shop online today!
There are two embroidered front designs to choose from. One of them shows an Earth globe, while the other one depicts a human figure jumping joyously into a wave. Both versions have the motto “One people-One Planet” embroidered on the back.
If you are a Global Citizen, or if you would like to become one, we would love to hear from you. Call us (626-353-7347), send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or reach out through our social media–Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.