Today more than ever, Christmas is a time to give back and help others in any way we can. From donations to eco-friendly gifts, this is a great opportunity for Global Citizens to step up and make a big difference in their communities and all around the world.
Participate in an Online Initiative
While online communication is far from being perfect, it does make it easier for people to come together and help those who need it most. These are some online initiatives you may consider joining:
- USPS Operation Santa: Visit the website and adopt a letter from children who ask for toys and games but also for help and basic necessities for them and their loved ones.
- Marine Toys for Tots: This program run by the United States Marine Corps Reserve distributes toys to children in need. Visit this page to discover all the ways you can donate.
- Operation Christmas Child: Run by international organization Samaritan’s Purse, this initiative collects shoeboxes filled with toys and other gifts and sends them to children in need from all around the world. Visit their website to discover where to drop or mail your box, or how to build your shoebox online.
Donate What You Don’t Use
Donating and giving back doesn’t always mean spending money or buying things. Take a look at what you have and decide what things you can donate. Objects you don’t need anymore, such as clothes, shoes, bags, toys, kitchenware, and books can brighten someone else’s Christmas or be sold by charitable institutions to raise funds and help those in need.
Consider Giving Handmade Gifts
When you consider what gifts to give to friends and family, try putting your talents to good use: bake cakes, sew clothes, draw pictures, or write a song. No matter what you decide to do, chances are that the result will be less expensive, more personal, and kinder to the environment than almost any other store-bought gift.
These are other handmade gifts ideas you may consider:
- A thoughtful letter
- A box of homemade cookies or chocolates
- A jar of homemade marmalade
- A set of bookmarks made with recycled material
- A phone case made with recycled material
Call Friends or Acquaintances Who May Be Lonely
Sometimes giving back can be as simple as calling someone and telling them how much you appreciate them.
The holiday season can be particularly difficult for people who feel lonely, a situation that is further complicated this 2020 by the ongoing pandemic.
Take the time to reach out to friends, acquaintances, and neighbors, especially if you suspect they may be alone or spending the holidays separated from their loved ones, and let them know how important they are to you. Catch up, have a laugh together, and find out whether you can help them in some other way. After all, human connection is the most precious gift and the best way to celebrate the holidays.
About Our Global Citizen Collection
Our Global Citizen hat collection is available in beige, blue, green, and gray. The choice of materials ranges from pigment dye cotton to corduroy and water-resistant nylon. Shop online today!
If you are a Global Citizen, or if you would like to become one, we would love to hear from you! Call us (626-353-7347), send us an email at email@example.com, or reach out through our social media–Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.